So, this topic has been weighing heavy on my heart lately. I think anyone, with any type of goal, in any season of life can relate. You have these goals & dreams, and you’re super excited. You start putting the wheels in motion to get yourself there…AND just as easily...you give up on them or put them on the back burner because you’re not getting there fast enough. Whatever your end goal is (be a better parent, a better spouse, lose 10 pounds, run a marathon, start a business, make a million dollars, start a blog, spend more time with your mama), the thing that holds us back the most is enjoying the process. I truly feel, you are not going to be happy in success (whatever that looks like to you) if you can’t be happy on the road that gets you there.
We need to understand that we are just as successful on our way to the end goal as we are when we reach it. Every step in that direction needs to be seen, heard and celebrated. If you do not take the time to focus in on that now, you will NOT be fulfilled when you reach your end goal. You will just be striving for the next goal and missing out on all the amazing moments that got you right where you are.
Meg & I recently networked with a very successful real estate broker in our area. It was great conversation, and during our meeting he asked, “what does success look like for you”? Meg and I sat there for a second, and then I started blurting the things you would assume make a business successful...things around money, go to business, best at our job etc. Since that meeting, my crazy brain has been thinking...Of course we need to define success and dream crazy dreams. We need to have huge goals. That’s what keeps passion alive and keeps our entrepreneur spirit on fire. But just as important is truly living in the process that is getting you there. My answer should have been simple…Sitting here with you is success Brought me back to our why and here are some of the things Meg and I are celebrating on our way to success.
END GOAL: We want to create beautiful lived in spaces that people love & can afford
Success is the client that cried when she walked into her redesigned living room space.
Success is helping someone see that they can love what they have by simply moving their items around in their space through our “Refresh” package, if they are on a tight budget.
Success was our decision to invest in a website too showcase what we can do and have a place to build our portfolio so people can see our work.
END GOAL: We want our brand to build and support community
Success is when we have shared or promoted another small business to a client or on our social media pages.
Success is when we decided to start a community page on our website.
Success is our new campaign we kicked off - #itstheinsidethatcounts – all with a mission to spread self-love and kindness throughout our local community.
Success is when a fellow business shared not only what we do but that we have “lots of feel good posts” as that is something we strive for.
END GOAL: We want staging to become as routine as home inspections (say what?!?!)
Success is the networking meeting we had with a local realtor to help them understand what we do, how we do it differently, and most importantly how we can help their business and clients.
Success was us making the decision to get certified in staging so we fully articulate all that we offer besides a fresh space
Success is the house that just sold in 1 week after being staged for our client.
Were there failures along with these small successes...absolutely. But if we concentrated on just that, we would not be moving forward as a business. And I firmly believe that is why so many startup businesses fail. If you’re always thinking about the end goal, and not in the moment celebrating every single step forward in your process (big or small), we challenge you to rethink what success looks like to you. You my friend are worthy of celebrating every step in your journey, along with every set back as it brings you right to where you should be. The only true set back is you giving up on wanting something more for yourself…
“Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness & growth occurs while you are climbing it” ~ Andy Rooney
URD is so beyond excited to spread self love, positivity, and kindness around our Rochester, NY community with our #ROCitstheinsidethatcounts mission.
From the beginning of our business conversations, we knew we wanted something more than just spreading beauty in people’s homes. Of course what we do and love is just that. We passionately believe that beauty lies within each and every room of your home, so much so that it is one of our main points in our mission statement - "Beauty Inside Us All". It is our goal to empahsize that while keeping the beauty of your home true to you. One of the main reasons we started URD.
However, outside of the physical beauty of our business and what we aesthetically provide, we always wanted to take it a step further and make sure our clients understand that #ROCitstheinsidethatcounts. Not only the inside of your home... but the inside of who you do business with, who you surround yourself with, and most importantly how you feel about yourself. That was one of our tag lines from the very beginning and now we have found another way to bring it to light!
I was listening to Jenna Kutchers podcast not to long ago, and Ashley Reale was on there talking about her company and her mission too #shareloveeverywhere. Her mission started simply. “What if one act of kindness could change a life?" Now she has distributed over 21,000 notes globally to strangers to simply share encouragement. So simple. So kind. So freaking amazing! Her personal goal 5 years ago was just doubled when Reebok started a campaign putting 200,000 of her cards in their women’s sneakers in honor of international women’s day Go check out Ashley’s company and support this amazing woman at www.shareloveeverywhere.com.
If any of you have been following Upstate Roots Design for some time, you know we are all about this positivity, encouragement, and light. Right before I listened to the podcast, I was thinking of how to spread more kindness, love, and good vibes faster within our community. Without selling someone’s product or someone selling our services. Sitting in my car that day, listening to Ashley...I had to pull over. It was just what I needed! I emailed her how inspired I was and how I wanted our company to #shareloveeverywhere locally in our community. She so graciously sent me 100 of her cards to start our new mission!!
I sat down with Meg and told her about my vision. Let me explain a little bit about Meg and I’s business relationship...
I am riding our URD train FULL speed ahead with blinders on...and Meg is the one that keeps us on the tracks (thank god!). If I were just driving...we would be derailed. My brain doesn’t stop. I’m up texting her at 2 am...Half are good ideas, half are just...well NOT!! After she could fully understand what I was saying behind my fast words and passionate thoughts...This is a crazy turn she SO wanted to make as it aligns to our brand and exactly what we stand for.
So here we are...setting forth on this new passion project. A simple one...but a powerful one.
If we can lighten one persons day...
Make someone smile...
Help someone push through their hardship...
Embrace their insecurities...
Take one step closer to understanding they are worth it...
They are not alone in their troubles...
Their dreams are not small...
They deserve more...
They are loved...
They are fierce just the way they are...
We have succeeded. Follow us along for the ride. And if you ever receive one of our cards, share with us on social media and hashtag #itstheinsidethatcounts! We would love to see you with your card or hear about it!!! And in the mean time, spread a little love wherever you go! #ROCitstheinsidethatcounts
Happy Spring beautiful people! There are SO many ways to decorate for spring. Of course if you want to fill your entire home with pastels or bright colors because that’s your thing...so be it. Do you!! But if you like a simpler touch or don’t want to break the bank, I’m sharing what URD feels is a simple, cost effective way to freshen up your space for the new season...
Stems, Stems...STEMS - Flowers & greenery! Real & Faux...A mix of both! They never go out of style, you can switch up year after year, and they can transform your space in a BIG way.
Anyone (even those who feel they don’t have a decorative bone in their body) can add these touches and transform their home. While filling vases around the home is a great start, we also want you to think a bit outside your comfort zone.
(1) Fresh flowers - I strongly believe in fresh flowers year round so when your in the grocery store, grab a bouquet and display them. In your kitchen (where you spend a lot of time), your entryway (where you and guests are greeted), your bedroom (where you start and end your day). There is not a single place you put a flower that will not make you smile. Also, never wait for someone to buy them for you...treat yourself friend, you deserve it ??
(2) Display flowers or greenery in items besides vases. All types of baskets (head to your local goodwill!), a watering can, vintage boxes, crates, & tins. You can fill tea cups or painted mason jars in whatever color you are vibing with for spring! Get your wheels spinning as I bet you have a lot of items at your fingertips NOW that you could put to decorative use!
(3) Think outside the box when it comes to larger decor pieces in your home. Your chandelier, your decorative artwork displayed, wreaths in your windows vs just your door. Drape flowers or greenery over your sconces on your wall. The list is endless, but these not so thought of pieces will make a big spring statement & liven up your home for this much anticipated season!
Take this salvaged piece I have above my fireplace. I purchased two faux garlands from Michaels Store. I cut them into pieces and put clear tacks in the back to hold them in place. An easy spring refresh for my mantle without being too over the top.
Next, my chandelier over my dining room table. I get it...not everyone has a ladder hanging over their table. This piece was one of the first things my daddy ???? did for me in my new home 7 years back. Now it is such a fun way to transition decor through the seasons and even swing from when you’ve had to many glasses of wine What you see here is a mix of 4 florals, all from Michaels Store, that I have hung from the ladder to create a dramatic, spring feel. I have pink roses, Olive stems, (and 2 others I can’t quite remember!). I grouped different ones together, and all are different lengths. I am not type A and will maybe half A#% something when it comes to my own home, so I did not secure all of these with wire or thread. You should but I’m lucky enough to have a very dried out vine throughout my ladder...so I was able to bend 90% if the end of the stems and just hang them from that. BUT if you want to be a “professional” and have a lot of patience...that is how you can hang them. The beauty about this is there is no right or wrong way! Pick some stems you love, some greenery, and get to work!
URD Would love to hear some places you have placed flowers & stems to bring spring in your home.
EEEEEeeekkkk!!! Hi Guys! Welcome to the Deeply Rooted Blog & what is referred to as the Be Fiercely YOU series, Blog Numero Uno! Let’s talk today, about stepping outside your comfort zone...not being afraid to take to steps toward your goals… doing something that makes you feel alive...and ultimately sets your soul on fire.
Am I an expert? Absolutely not. Am I wealthy in my new business? Nope. Well let me rephrase that...I AM wealthy in a lot but not monetarily here (yet). Do I have all the answers? Negative. Let’s be clear, I am not going to tell you how to start a business, build a website, get clients, make a zillion dollars…but I am going to tell you how we got out of our own way and established our business, brand, clients…and are doing something we LOVE after our initial conversation of launching this business 5 months ago!
(1) An experience that changed the way you think about life - It’s so vague, right? There’s no definition of what that truly is because it is different for everyone. It can be very involved or very simple and is super personal...maybe you climbed to the top of a mountain or ran your first marathon....maybe you woke up one day to miss your child’s play or soccer game because of work for way to many times to count...Maybe you sat there staying at home with your 3rd child crying to yourself every day that you want more...Maybe you’ve been finally hit with the reality, that having a child is not in god’s plan…maybe you overcame some serious demons of your past life and are ready to start anew...maybe you lost 50lbs and feel like a whole new person...maybe you just got into the best relationship of your life …maybe you just lost a piece of your heart and view life a lot different now. Ding DIng DING! That was my why, my personal, life changing experience.
(2) There’s “ideas” and there’s “action”. We all dream, right? Of what we want, what we want to do, what we want to be. I can hear my dad saying for the thousandth time...”what do you want to be when you grow up kris”? While it’s so important to dream, if you want to turn it into more...you need to take action. It’s the hardest step as you question where to start. But just START. You need to visualize, create, plan, and take action. One foot in front of the other.
(3) After you have a plan and take action, DO NOT let other people’s words, opinions, advice (whatever!) decide or detour your success. This is such a BIG one. If any of you follow Rachel Hollis at all (my favorite!), I can hear her important, fiery words now. “Someone else’s opinion of you is none of your business”. Preach GIRL! Let’s remind ourselves of the definition of success. Success is “the accomplishment of an aim or purpose”. It's important to have big dreams and big goals but do not let those blur your vision of success. Ask yourself how do I define success? The answer is simple. You define it. Not your partner. Not your parent. Not your boss…your best friend...YOU!
(4) Stop overwhelming yourself! Stop making an unrealistic list of goals to complete! How many times do you wake up feeling great and saying todays the day I am going to change my life. I am going to drink my body weight in water, not yell at my kids, cut out sugar and carbs, clean my house, right down my goals for my business, respond to every social media comment, and have dinner ready for my significant other when they walk in the door. By the time you are done, you have a list of 50 things you want to change before you even start...that’s called BIG FAT FAILURE. Stick to success for that day or that week. Concentrate on what you are doing in that moment and give that moment the time and attention it deserves vs. thinking of everything else you need to do while you’re doing something you need to do! Right?!?! What did you aim for on this day? Did you want to start brainstorming about your mission? Did you start up a social media platform for your business? Did you aim to start your day with a healthy breakfast all week? Did you write down 5 names of people you want to connect with? Did you go for a run to clear your head that has been bogged down by your hectic schedule or your screaming kids? If you took any kind of action toward your goal...that is success. PERIOD. Repeat that...THAT IS SUCCESS.
(5) The comparison trap. Every.Single.One of us does it. Please avoid comparison. When you start a journey of any kind. You typically look for insight and guidance of others that have journeyed before. And that is awesome, but you have to clearly understand that your mark in your journey, is miles away from there’s. These traveled souls were you. They put in the work and time and have went on their journey. It’s yours & not theirs. Stop comparing.
Meg and I’s journey here at URD included every one of these steps:
Life event...check - Loss of my dad. You will learn a ton more about the impact and loss of my angel under the “Losing a Piece of My Heart” series of our deeply rooted blog.
Dreams turned into action...check - We sat down and set small goals that turned into action that have continued us on our path of moving forward. We have completed our vision, mission, branding, website, all the needed legal documents, networked with numerous people, and have closed business. We did all of this with a crazy chaotic life surrounding us. All because we have a plan.
Controlling other people’s thoughts on YOUR goals and letting it affect what we believe is success...check - I mean if we took on everyone’s opinion about our business we would not have taken one step forward. “Nobody who has achieved more than you, will ever judge you.” ~ Again…my girl, Rachel Hollis. Read that again...it is the people who are too scared to step forward that will judge, and throw hesitation your way. AND that’s ok. We all start with shaking knees.
Stop overwhelming yourself…check - Meg & I are mothers, wives, career woman, active, social (enjoy a cocktail), multi-taskers…among 100 other things. We have every reason to fail in this category. We knew right when we decided to open this business that we had to have a clear-cut picture of how we measure success and we set it weekly for our business.
Not comparing ourselves to others who have similar goals & dreams...check - Way easier said than done BUT...we are clear to ourselves, our future clients, and future business partners about who we are and more importantly...who we are not. It’s ok to not fill up everyone’s cup. You cannot be everything to everyone. Especially when you start on a new business path. Again, dream big...always, but set the expectations for those touched by your business upfront. Don’t overpromise. And always follow through with what you say you will do. Mean what you say, always.
Would love to hear the #1 thing standing in your way of doing something that sets your soul on fire?!?! Is it any of the above? Something entirely different? Love hearing friend’s road blocks and insecurities…because we ALL have them.
Now go spread your magic!
Hi "Deeply Rooted" Friends. Here is "Losing a Piece of you heart Series, Blog #1. “You were unsure which pain is worse — the shock of what happened or the ache for what never will”.
This is what I struggle with the most right now. I’m in limbo. When I go there, it’s between these two spaces. What saves me from living to long in either one... is my kids. My season of life. My constant crazy is what does not let me dwell to long in one vs. the other. For those of you who know me in some form or fashion, know I lost my dad 2 years ago. Quickly. Devastatingly. Heroically. My life was turned upside down with 3 words and then shattered with the face of my father crossed to other side in an ER bed. But the journey in between those 2 days has been everything. I have learned more than any expensive education could ever provide. I have learned love, fear, hopelessness, strength, courage, fearlessness, family, uncertainty, loyalty, despair, emptiness, friendship, anger, community, fight. I have learned things no text book could ever teach...and I have learned more about myself than anything else.
Whether your dealing with loss, someone your afraid to lose, a beautiful relationship, a challenging one...Follow me here. We might not share the same past...or future...same beginning...or end. You might have a whole other list of feelings above. But go there. Because loss and grief... Is a very personal path for all...but a commonality that joins us together. It steals time. Time you wish you could do different or time you wish you could selfishly relive over again. Regardless, it’s taken from you without your consent.
I’ll never forget that night in fall 2015. The distraught sound of my mother’s voice on the other end of the line will haunt me forever and be the start to a journey that shook my whole world. “Daddy has cancer”.
Have any of you faced those words with someone you love or yourself? How did you feel in those initial moments?